checking your insurance benefits
This page will guide you through checking your nutrition counseling benefits to ensure that our time together is covered by your insurance plan.
Please note that Redefined Nutrition only accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance at this time. We are unable to accept Blue Local or Blue Value plans. If you are contracted with another insurance company, we are more than happy to provide you with a superbill (medical receipt) to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement for our sessions. Please note that the superbill does not guarantee reimbursement from your insurance provider and session fees are due at the time of service.
Grab something to take notes with before you sit down for your call as you will need to write down information as you go. Call the member services number on the back of your insurance card. Once connected with a representative, ask the following questions and write down their answers:
- If yes, how many how many sessions are allowed?
- Does my plan only cover visits that are “medically necessary”? does it also
cover preventive services? (code: z71.3)
- Does my plan cover telehealth for nutrition counseling? (location code: 02)
1. DOES MY PLAN COVER OUTPATIENT NUTRITION COUNSELING? (CODES: 97802 AND 97803)
2. DO I HAVE A DEDUCTIBLE TO MEET FIRST?
- IF YES, HOW MUCH IS MY DEDUCTIBLE?
- HOW MUCH OF THE DEDUCTIBLE HAVE I MET?
3. Do I have a copay for outpatient nutrition counseling?
4. Do i need to have a physician referral?
5. Be sure to record the representative's name and request a REFERENCE number at the end of your call. This information will be necessary if you ever need to dispute a rejected claim.